Skip to main content

Women & Wine -- Why Not?

My hair dresser Cathie had been after me for a few months to attend a little networking group in my community called Women & Wine on Wednesday.  Since I had exhausted all excuses and the holidays were over I conceded that it might prove to be an interesting evening, I committed to attending.  Besides, I like wine.

I was trying to figure out an effective way to promote what I do to all the new women in business that I'd be introducing myself to.   Since my embroidery is not something I do for myself very often and I'm of the age that I feel fabric looks better on my house than it does on me, I had to step back and think about it for a bit.   I was within 2 hours of heading out the door so it had to be a quick project.  I needed an accessory and it had to be bold but not overpowering because that just isn't me. Truly on a whim I grabbed a beautiful hot pink Pashmina scarf, coincidentally my corporate color, and headed over to my machine.  WOW!  I loved it.


So, out the door I went and it was a truly a hit.  One woman said I needed to head straight over to a local gift shop and have them sell them for me.

Now I think what truly makes this is the fact that the monogram in itself is a statement.  It's BIG, really BIG, over 6"- roughly the size of an outstretched hand and the font is just gorgeous with all the curves and curls.

I couldn't wait to do another so I quickly ordered all these lovely colors -- trying to match my existing thread inventory in the process.  Perfection!  I know, I know many of you are still buried under snow but Easter is right around the corner.

Back to the machine I went yesterday to create something beautiful for a dear friend for her birthday.  She gets the pale pink one.  She lives in Vermont and I thought the color would help her make it through their very long "mud season".

It all seemed as though it would be easy enough but the true difficulty in creating a large monogram on such a lovely soft piece of fabric is the hope that you don't pierce the scarf to the point of fraying or perforating it.  They have to be lightweight or they are uncomfortable to wear around your neck.  For this I had to rely on my machine.  These monograms have an average of 10,000 stitches and take about a half hour just to stitch out.   I'm fortunate my Brother adjusts the pull ratio beautifully.  (That's a tension thing all you non sewers.)   I also relied on the supplier's recommendation on the stablizer needed.  I held my breath as the machine did its work and I think it turned out beautifully.  I believe the tone on tone color combination keeps it classy.

I added my bracelet to the photo below so you would get a sense of the scale of the design.

I will be featuring these in my facebook shop as I think they would make a lovely Mother's Day gift or grad gift this spring. These scarves are so versatile and can quickly dress up a casual pair of jeans and serve to get you through a cool evening worn as a shawl.  Even here in the south I rarely leave the house without something wrapped around my neck and I love color in my accessories.

These are not true Pashmina wool but synthetic fibers but nice and soft and comfortable against your skin.  The supplier says that they can be hand washed very gently and hung to drip dry over a tub.

I really have to thank Cathie next time I go back in because without her push to attend Women & Wine on Wednesday,  I wouldn't have been inspired to create these.  She also has agreed to let me feature them for me in her salon.

To access my store you can click on one of the catagories on the right or search for The Polka Dot Poppy on Facebook.    It's not a glamorous link just yet but it will get you over there.  I haven't had time to get all my items listed but I'm working on it....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Fall Y'all

Well here we are, leaves are turning, skies are clear and blue and the air is sweet and dry.  It's fall y'all!  I have been busy, busy, busy with Halloween in a few short days and Thanksgiving coming up fast I want to share some of my most recent projects. Burlap Door Hanger Pumpkin Pair Sweet Smiley Pumpkin Soft and Sweet little dress Happy Pumpkin Let's hear it for the boys! When I need art I stitch it. Boo Burlap Door Hanger Fun Pumpkin design

We All Have Our Baggage

You have probably noticed while traveling that when your luggage comes onto the carousel in baggage claim your little black bag looks pretty much like everyone else's.  I solved this problem by creating monogrammed bag tags. Using bright and beautiful grosgrain ribbon I used a font called Eccentric and embroidered directly onto the ribbon as it was held in place on my stabilizer with adhesive spray. The font was skinny enough that I could use a bigger more bold 2 inch initial.  To make them sturdy enough to survive the handling process I used large grommets. In addition I thought they could use a bit of extra embellishment and I added a wooden bead and some extra ribbons tied on to jazz them up a bit.  Getting that ribbon through the bead proved to be the most difficult part of the entire process but I liked how it finished them. Fun colors that will certain make your bag stand out in a crowd.  We all have our baggage - flag yours! Ribbons are 1 1/2 inche

So, Some Sunflowers!

A bit too early for pumpkins I stitched out this beautiful sunflower design from The Itch2Stitch.  It's simple but elegant and a nice transition into fall decorating.  I'm never disappointed with the quality of their digitizing.