Skip to main content

Christmas Snowflakes

It's Christmas.
Very Fashionable Snow Couple
There's no people like snow people.

Maybe it will snow.  We really need it this year.  We need a blanket of soft and beautiful snow to comfort us all this Christmas.We need the brightness and light and sparkle on the earth.  We need the hush it brings to busy streets so we can focus on each other and not the hustle.   We need the drifts to slow us down and remember what the season represents.


I've been thinking so much about little children, as we all are of course, and how they are like little snowflakes - each one different and delightful.  Gifts from heaven sparkling with innocence and purity. Dancing around on the earth with a spirit of their own to some melody unheard to most of the rest of us. Joyful and happy, free and light.

As a child I'd ever so gently and carefully catch snowflakes on my mittens and study their uniqueness.  Dare touch one and it would simply disappear.  Soft flakes would kiss my cold cheeks and land on my eyelashes and kindly settle on my knit hat.  I'd revel in the magic of them floating down from the sky and stand in wonderment over the fact that each was different yet there were enough to cover my entire world.  All piled up they offered up as much softness and comfort as a tall feather bed.  



This reflection has likely fueled the obsession I've had this season making beautiful embroidered lace snowflakes.  Connecting to my past in some way I suppose - to Christmases long, long ago.  I thought I started early enough to create a collection to decorate my home for the holidays but I kept giving them away.  They were just too pretty not to share.  A set for my mother, some for my aunt, a couple for my cousin and then why not just send some in Christmas cards.  I made lots and they are lovely so I'll make some more and put some fine glitter on a few and hang them so they glisten in the light. I need them this year.

As each snowflake stitches out I'll be reminded of all the beautiful children I am blessed to have close to me and the delight they bring to our lives and the hope they represent for our future and our world.  Each is perfect and each is different.  I believe God plants the spirit of Christmas in children's hearts and their pure joy is what brightens our holiday.  Maybe it won't snow, so we will need the light of the children to comfort us this year.  I hope you all have a blizzard of this joy too.


Merry Christmas!  




Pearls are the rage again this season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Fall Y'all

Well here we are, leaves are turning, skies are clear and blue and the air is sweet and dry.  It's fall y'all!  I have been busy, busy, busy with Halloween in a few short days and Thanksgiving coming up fast I want to share some of my most recent projects. Burlap Door Hanger Pumpkin Pair Sweet Smiley Pumpkin Soft and Sweet little dress Happy Pumpkin Let's hear it for the boys! When I need art I stitch it. Boo Burlap Door Hanger Fun Pumpkin design

We All Have Our Baggage

You have probably noticed while traveling that when your luggage comes onto the carousel in baggage claim your little black bag looks pretty much like everyone else's.  I solved this problem by creating monogrammed bag tags. Using bright and beautiful grosgrain ribbon I used a font called Eccentric and embroidered directly onto the ribbon as it was held in place on my stabilizer with adhesive spray. The font was skinny enough that I could use a bigger more bold 2 inch initial.  To make them sturdy enough to survive the handling process I used large grommets. In addition I thought they could use a bit of extra embellishment and I added a wooden bead and some extra ribbons tied on to jazz them up a bit.  Getting that ribbon through the bead proved to be the most difficult part of the entire process but I liked how it finished them. Fun colors that will certain make your bag stand out in a crowd.  We all have our baggage - flag yours! Ribbons are 1 1/2 inche

So, Some Sunflowers!

A bit too early for pumpkins I stitched out this beautiful sunflower design from The Itch2Stitch.  It's simple but elegant and a nice transition into fall decorating.  I'm never disappointed with the quality of their digitizing.