Skip to main content

Hatching

Polka Dot ribbon of course!


The past few weeks my sister and I have been scratching together a plan for the perfect baby shower to provide a little nest feathering for her only daughter who is expecting in August.  We decided to put our spin on the ideas presented in Phyliss Hoffman's Spring Celebrate magazine and include our own touches.   Of course not being ordinary grandmas, we loved the idea of foregoing traditional baby blue or pink or ducks or lambs or teddy bears.  This, we decided, will be and understated elegant affair.  The "About to Hatch" theme suited us perfectly.  Knowing us well, my dear niece just said, "You two do what you want - you will anyway."  I must say we certainly do love a guest of honor with no preconceived notions or opinions.  We didn't even have to henpeck her into submission.

Wrens hatched in a flowerpot in my garage

For those who have not seen this edition of the magazine the centerpiece includes a pair of storks      made out of flowers.  My sister is a floral designer and I just can't wait to see her version of               this. Together we have done several family weddings and I've learned to become a pretty good stem  cutter.  She on the other hand is brilliant at bringing the best out of every blossom she touches.          Looking at the glossy pages I thought a person might need some experience with the Tournament of Roses Parade in order to be able to pull something like that off so I quickly volunteered to stem cut, do the invitations and conduct a search for the baby silver.  (Necessary of course since all the family silver apparently was lost throughout the passing generations.  Alright, I confess - we've never had   family silver.)                                                                                                                                         

Several weeks ago I sent out Save the Date cards to everyone in our brood.  I've done enough entertaining to know that an invitation can really set the mood for an event and who doesn't love to receive a beautiful handmade invitation in the mail perfectly posted with a coordinating weather vane stamp.  Of course my ambition with paper does get the better of me sometimes.  A couple of weeks ago I followed up with this invitation.

Nest Invitation with polka dots for About to Hatch Baby Shower
Again, I say, they were an ambitious undertaking but then this is an extra special event. The bird nest
graphic is so simple yet stunning - you could use it anywhere and the font gives them the elegant      
flair.  The pockets, all hand cut, keep the pieces tucked in neatly and I just had to include some
polka dots.  The graphics can be found on the magazine's website.  The pockets were printed on my home computer along with the rest of the cards and enclosures.  The graphics for the pocket were        purchased from Cupcake Cutiees through mygrafico.com.  The font is Scriptina_Pro.

The party is later this month and I'll post pictures of the table later in the month.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Fall Y'all

Well here we are, leaves are turning, skies are clear and blue and the air is sweet and dry.  It's fall y'all!  I have been busy, busy, busy with Halloween in a few short days and Thanksgiving coming up fast I want to share some of my most recent projects. Burlap Door Hanger Pumpkin Pair Sweet Smiley Pumpkin Soft and Sweet little dress Happy Pumpkin Let's hear it for the boys! When I need art I stitch it. Boo Burlap Door Hanger Fun Pumpkin design

So, Some Sunflowers!

A bit too early for pumpkins I stitched out this beautiful sunflower design from The Itch2Stitch.  It's simple but elegant and a nice transition into fall decorating.  I'm never disappointed with the quality of their digitizing.

We All Have Our Baggage

You have probably noticed while traveling that when your luggage comes onto the carousel in baggage claim your little black bag looks pretty much like everyone else's.  I solved this problem by creating monogrammed bag tags. Using bright and beautiful grosgrain ribbon I used a font called Eccentric and embroidered directly onto the ribbon as it was held in place on my stabilizer with adhesive spray. The font was skinny enough that I could use a bigger more bold 2 inch initial.  To make them sturdy enough to survive the handling process I used large grommets. In addition I thought they could use a bit of extra embellishment and I added a wooden bead and some extra ribbons tied on to jazz them up a bit.  Getting that ribbon through the bead proved to be the most difficult part of the entire process but I liked how it finished them. Fun colors that will certain make your bag stand out in a crowd.  We all have our baggage - flag yours! Ribbons are 1 1/2 inche