Skip to main content

The Blue Plate Special

It's a new year and everyone knows that aside from organizing our closets the other annual rite of passage is committing to losing a few pounds.  I've discovered that the very best way to ensure you won't sabotage your diet the very first week of January is just put off even starting one before Valentines Day.  It works for me.

While perusing the Internet the past few days I have run across some extremely interesting tips to help in the pursuit of a smaller waistline.  Aside from swearing off all white food - and please, I'm not intending to be racist here - you can just take a whiff of peppermint whenever you're feeling hungry and it will quell your desire to eat.  Well this is good news isn't it!  Those yummy little peppermint patties could actually help you lose weight! Who would have thought.

The other even more intriguing tip for me and one in keeping with my love of decorating is to eat off a blue plate.  Food allegedly is not as appealing on a blue plate.  I said allegedly.  Well, that explains why Sur La Table has a new blue line of dishes for winter doesn't it.  Like the Ab Roller they are just trying to help us lose weight in January.  Now the article also said that eating in a blue room will also make food less appetizing but I have to tell you, I have a friend with a blue kitchen and everything tastes fantastic at her house so I'm not buying into that one.


By all means avoid white food on a blue plate because the combination is lovely and they will cancel each other out dissolving your desire to not eat.  The Dutch have been creating Delft for centuries and the Portuguese have created beautiful blue and white pottery through the ages too.  Come to think of it though, it may in fact be why you don't see overweight Dutchman.  Nonetheless, a mound of powdered sugar donuts or Mexican wedding cookies would be beautiful with tea on a lovely blue plate.

I realize I'm not helping our diets and this post has me thinking I'll just head on down to the diner for a heap of calories on the Blue Plate Special and on the way back I'll stop and buy a bag of those pretty little peppermint patties.  Happy New Year everyone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Fall Y'all

Well here we are, leaves are turning, skies are clear and blue and the air is sweet and dry.  It's fall y'all!  I have been busy, busy, busy with Halloween in a few short days and Thanksgiving coming up fast I want to share some of my most recent projects. Burlap Door Hanger Pumpkin Pair Sweet Smiley Pumpkin Soft and Sweet little dress Happy Pumpkin Let's hear it for the boys! When I need art I stitch it. Boo Burlap Door Hanger Fun Pumpkin design

We All Have Our Baggage

You have probably noticed while traveling that when your luggage comes onto the carousel in baggage claim your little black bag looks pretty much like everyone else's.  I solved this problem by creating monogrammed bag tags. Using bright and beautiful grosgrain ribbon I used a font called Eccentric and embroidered directly onto the ribbon as it was held in place on my stabilizer with adhesive spray. The font was skinny enough that I could use a bigger more bold 2 inch initial.  To make them sturdy enough to survive the handling process I used large grommets. In addition I thought they could use a bit of extra embellishment and I added a wooden bead and some extra ribbons tied on to jazz them up a bit.  Getting that ribbon through the bead proved to be the most difficult part of the entire process but I liked how it finished them. Fun colors that will certain make your bag stand out in a crowd.  We all have our baggage - flag yours! Ribbons are 1 1/2 inche

So, Some Sunflowers!

A bit too early for pumpkins I stitched out this beautiful sunflower design from The Itch2Stitch.  It's simple but elegant and a nice transition into fall decorating.  I'm never disappointed with the quality of their digitizing.